Valentines Day.. a day for breaking world records


Who ever thought champagne (pardon my French, I mean Méthode Cap Classique) was for nancies... guess again!
Andrew Duminy, General Manager of The Bull Run Restaurant in Sandton and Pongrácz have set a new Guinness World Record for opening the most sparkling wine bottles in one minute using a sabre according to the traditional ceremonial sabrage…

Now, I am one of those people who fear champagne corks and spend the full 30 seconds during the opening-of-the-bottle process thinking the champagne cork will somehow collide with my head… but this is a really ‘extreme’ alternative route…
Sabrage is a ceremonial technique whereby a champagne or sparkling wine bottle is removed with a sabre or sword. The force of the blade causes the cork and collar to shoot off the neck of the bottle in a show stopping display of bubbles and blasts.

Now I have a fear of shards of glass flying towards my head…
Starting at 5:00pm on the 14 the of Feb, exactly one minute later at 5:01pm Andrew Duminy had successfully opened 27 bottles of Pongrácz with his formidable sabre, smashing the previous record of 21 bottles.

Comments