Hussar yumminess





I am in love with the Hussar Grill (www.hussargrill.co.za). We have a great relationship… Every time I go there I get treated well, provided for, leave with a happy full tummy and that familiar, warm ‘wine haze’ over my brain.

Last night my partner treated me to a delicious rump steak (the cut of the evening) with a dreamy blue cheese sauce, side veggies and baby potatoes. The steak was cooked to my perfection – medium rare and the sauce was thick, rich and creamy. My partner had the classic Carpetbagger – a fillet mignon stuffed with smoked oysters and cheddar cheese, topped with a brandy and wholegrain mustard sauce. YUM!!!

We agreed that once again they had out done themselves.

It’s great to go on a Wednesday night as it’s a bit quieter – it does get really busy Thurs – Sat.

There are four Hussar Grills in Cape Town, namely Rondesbosch, Green Point, Camps Bay and Willowbridge.

We always go to the Greenpoint branch right next to the Slug & Lettuce [aka slut and legless I’m told by my partner]. Which is a cool pre-drinks little pub with big screen TV’s.

One of the biggest attractions for me about the Hussar Grill Greenpoint is the décor. I love the shelves packed solid with old books, beautiful old photographs dancing on the walls, loads and loads of wine bottle of all different shapes and sizes and the soft lighting creating an overall romantic, intimate setting.

We tried a new wine from my beloved Diemersfontein (www.diemersfontein.co.za): The Goshawk’s Chant.

The Hussar Grill have been awarded again and again for having a top-notch wine list, but I must confess that we had to buy our vino at the Woolies next door (about R75) because our budgets at the time were looking very, very sad.

Hussar Grill does not charge corkage.


*Please excuse the terrible quality photographs taken with my phone in the low light…

Comments