For wine to be considered garagiste, it has to be certified with the Wine and Spirits board, totally funded garagiste, made in a garagiste style and have no more than 9000 litres maximum for total production.
Garagiste, by definition means something like this: 'A micro-négociant specializing in very limited-production wines, often known as "vins de garage," or garage wines, because their production size is such that they could be made in a garage.'
But if you truly want to find out more, do Clive Torr's workshop in March. Here are the deets:
|Clive Torr is a Cape Wine Master, international winemaker and a renowned wine judge who is one of the foremost authorities on Pinot Noir in South Africa and who pioneered the garagiste movement in this country. |
|He uses his vast experience of making wines and teaching others the art of winemaking in South Africa and France to ensure that participants experience a fun-filled hands-on experience in the vineyard and cellar. |
The next Topaz Garagiste Workshop takes place on 3 March 2012 at the Topaz Garagiste Wine Cellar at the DelVera biodiversity estate in Stellenbosch.
The cost is R 1200 per participant (incl VAT) which includes the following:
• 12 bottles of each participant’s OWN WINE with personalised labels of their own design if so required (after the final bottling)
• a Winemaker’s Apron, plus 2 tasting glasses in an embroidered carry case for each participant
• a prestigious Certificate of Accomplishment and a photo of each participant with Clive
• a blog on the Topaz website about the wine and its progress
• a picnic lunch during winemaking and a braai at the bottling party
• the sourcing and transport of grapes, provision of fermentation tank, barrel, winemaking equipment, chemicals, laboratory analyses and use of a registered cellar
• all wines used for tastings and for the lunch
• the cost of bottling, packaging and bottling party participation OR delivery of wine to those not attending the bottling
Excluded are: transport to and from the venue, accommodation and insurance.
Please click here for more information. If you are interested in attending please email Tanja Beutler at firstname.lastname@example.org.