My adoration for Tokara Restuarant



I had one of the best food experiences of my life the other night, when my fiance and I went to Tokara Restaurant for dinner.
I have read so much about Richard Carstens – I like to sometimes think of him as SA's Heston Blumenthal – although his style is extremely unique and original.
Tokara is also such a gorgeous setting, and heading out towards the Stellenbosch winelands doesn't take much convincing, particularly when there are winter specials on.
Each day Tokara presents a new menu for the day, consisting of 7 courses.

This is what we had the other night:


-Frozen sorrel dome, caviar, chilli with yoghurt and butternut 
-Duck prosciutto, pressure-­cooked sesame seeds, daikon, goji berries, coconuttiradito and yuzu
-Prawn ravioli and prawn chorizo, edamame, kingklip with saffron mussel sauce
-Dry aged roast carrot, gorgonzola, yoghurt, curry oil, orange, macadamia, white chocolate & herbs
-Intermezzo 
-Springbok, sweet potato, pears, jerepigo and pepper sauce 
-Coconut sorbet, ginger mousse, litchi parfait, granita and white chocolate
-Three minute chocolate tart, vanilla crème and grand marnier icecream

It's the perfect restaurant for a birthday treat, anniversary or seriously impressive first date. The service is first class and the waiters are well informed about the food.

Wine pairings are optional too, so ask about these – and try the Tokara wines, Miles Mossop (winemaker) makes a great Cabernet Sauvignon, Chenin Blanc and dessert wine if you can get your hands on any. Ask to try the Miles Mossop Saskia (chenin viognier) – it blew our minds and has become one of my favourite white wines.

I also got to peek inside Richards kitchen and meet some of the chefs who work under his guidance.



My fiance and I both decided that we'd never had food quite like Richards before, and that we can't wait to go back again.

For reservations, call +27 (0) 21 885 2550
or email reservations@tokara.com

The restaurant is open for lunch Tuesdays to Sundays and for dinner Tuesdays to Saturdays. Please note: Tokara Restaurant is a non-smoking area.

http://www.tokararestaurant.co.za

Comments