Meat-free Monday: wheat-free tomato pasta (with added veggies)


A great way to sneak in a bunch of vegetables that are either piling up in the fridge or for an extra boost of nutrition, is to roast them all up with some tomatoes and make them into a pasta sauce.

For example, this past monday, I put the following ingredients in a roasting pan:
1 onion roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 large beetroot, roughly chopped
2 leeks sliced
half a butternut, roughly chopped
good extra virgin-olive oil
salt
pepper
1-home grown red chilli, finely sliced

The half butternut, beetroot, and leeks were kind of left over from previous dishes. So I just tossed them in together.
After roasting for about 20 minutes at 200 degrees celcius, I removed the tray, stirred the veggies up and added:
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar



I then baked the veggies altogether for a further half an hour to 40 minutes (while I made the pasta), before removing the dish to cool slightly. I then placed the veggies in my blender with some fresh home-grown basil leaves and a good dose of olive oil, mixed it all up and added it to my freshly made wheat-free pasta. (I use 2 large free-range eggs to 2 cups of wheat-free flour for 4 people. For how to make pasta, read here: http://20-somethingincapetown.blogspot.com/2012/01/fresh-pasta-best-way-to-eat-it.html)

I used basil leaves from one of my homegrown basil plants

Comments