Hartenberg Estate - Where Shiraz Lovers Meet


Hartenberg Estate

I've been a fan of the Hartenberg Stork Shiraz for years and the go-to (affordable) Cab Sauv Shiraz blend. But I wasn't that familiar with their other wines.

I was lucky enough to visit the farm for the first time the other day and do a vertical tasting of their Gravel Hill.

A bit of background:
The Gravel Hill Shiraz is the estate's ultra-premium Shiraz. It's harvested from a single block only.
Before even becoming commercially available, accolades for the Gravel Hill already included earning the highest price for any Shiraz at the 2007 CWG Auction (average R580 per bottle) and the second highest price for any wine at the auction ever. It is also the longest running wine at the CWG Auction.

Hartenberg Estate wine tasting room food on offer

Hartenberg Estate wine tasting

Hartenberg Estate wine tasting

Hartenberg Estate wine tasting of the Gravel Hill Shiraz
But more importantly, it is delicious!

My vertical tasting ran from 2005 to the 2009 vintages. I loved the 2005 and 2006 the best!
The 2009 is not yet available for sale.
Wine lovers can buy the 2008 vintage, of which only 550 bottles were made - seriously limited edition stuff! Perfect for wine collectors. 

The farm also offers amazing olives and snacks as well as a cellar tour for those who book.
It's really interesting to take the tour for the history of the estate. The door is one of the oldest existing in the Cape and has a giant Key to match.

Hartenberg Estate

Hartenberg Estate old cellar door

ancient key for the Hartenberg Estate old cellar door

The winery is open from 7 days a week, closing at 3pm on the weekends.

For more information, visit 021 865 2541.
Or visit: http://www.hartenbergestate.com/

#shirazlover

Comments

Unknown said…
When I saw that huge key I immediately recognized it as the huge cellar door key!!!!
I've been through that cellar quite a few times and every time it's like the first one.
I'm a huge fan of Hartenberg Wine Estate. I go there at least twice a year. I love the wine, I love the food, I love the quiet and the beautiful surroundings. I Love Hartenberg!!!!!!!!!!
Hope to see you again soon!!!!!!!
HoppyAndSloppy said…
That's wonderful Jaccie! I hope that you get to visit again during the summer... they have amazing picnics lined up!!